This blog is set up to display information from my Technology in Education class at Northwest University Fall 2011.
Tuesday, November 15, 2011
Reflective Post #9
At the early childhood development center I work at each preschool classroom from get sets to pre-kindergarten has at least one computer for the children to use as well as an independent teacher who comes in to teach a once a week computer skills class. I am not sure what I think about this to be honest. On one hand I think it is great that the kids have access to computers for learning games (all computers have learning games downloaded on them and the children are not allowed to use any other programs) and giving the children an opportunity to hone in on those essential computer skills. On the other hand I wonder while the children are at the school should we really be doing more computer time beacuse I can garuntee they get the opportunity at home. I really am torn but I do see how the children really enjoy playing the games while they are still working on their skills such as phonics, counting, addition, music etc.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I work at a preschool as well and I find myself torn with regards to computers in preschool classrooms. At the preschool I work at, classroom with children ages 3-5 have 2 computers in each room. I find that some children overuse the computer as it is hard to monitor each child's use when there are 10-15 other children in the classroom. When asked to leave the computer, some children throw tantrums because they are so attached to the technology.
ReplyDeleteAlthough I find that technology is beneficial to preschoolers I am unsure whether these students are too young to be exposed to computers in a classroom setting.